Monday, August 22, 2011

My Styling Cabinet

I am so glad to finally be finished with this project.  I bought this cabinet a long time ago, but put it on the back burner since my son was out of school for the summer. Today was the first day back for him so I was determined to get it done.

My Styling Cabinet



  


I saw a show a long time ago about this lady that invented a styling station or something and I remember her saying how much it was going to be and knew that I wasn't going to pay that for it.  I have always had it in the back of of my mind to make it one day and when I went into Second Home Furniture in Lewisville I found this cabinet for $20.00 and knew it would be perfect.  Here is what I did to transform this old medicine cabinet into a styling cabinet for my hair dryer, curling and flat iron.


*****************

Before Picture




I started by taking off the door and hardware, then drilling a hole in the bottom where my extension cord would go.




I filled in all of the holes that were supposed to be for shelves and let them dry before I sanded them.




The cabinet was going to need a little shelf to hide all of the cords and power strips, so I just built one with some leftover wood I had lying around.  It's just an L shape design, leaving enough room in the back for the cords to go through.  



I took the mirror and backing off of the door and cut a pattern with the fabric I already had that was leftover from my jewelry frame.


I used mod podge to glue down the fabric on the door and on the inside of the cabinet.


I added the extension cord by gluing it down with velcro strips.



Trimmed the inside with brown braiding trim and did the same thing to the inside of the door with smaller trim.  I wanted to do this to give it a more clean finish.


See it here with the finished shelf!


Added my hooks!


Added the door back to the cabinet!


It is now in my bathroom and ready to use!









This whole project didn't cost much at all..here is the breakdown:
  • Cabinet - $20.00 - Second Home Furniture
  • Hooks - $7.50 - Home Depot
  • Brown trim - $3.00 - JoAnn's
  • Power strip - $6.00 - Ace Hardware
I didn't have to invest in the fabric or the paint.  I used the paint that came with the house so it would blend in well in the bathroom.

Hope you love it as much as I do.  It will be so nice to have everything plugged in and ready to go when I need it instead of dragging each item out one at a time.  Everything remains plugged in and ready to use.

Thanks for stopping by!

Missy

Just a side note:  I don't put any of my curling or flat irons back into the cabinet while they are HOT.  I let them cool down completely before putting back.  Didn't want to confuse anyone.  I am simply using this cabinet as a convenient storage unit!  

Linking to:

39 comments:

  1. that is darling, I love it. GREAT JOB. winks-jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are eight months into our new home and I still haven't figured out where to put my curling iron, blow dryer and hair straightener......until now! What fantastic idea and answer to prayer. I'm so glad I found you at DittleDattle. Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. what i agreat idea! i which i had room in my bathroom for something like this!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fantastic idea! I need one of these in the worst way! And it's so cute too!

    ~Jessa
    www.jessajill.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is an awesome idea! I love the paper you used!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great Idea! I hate looking at all the cords in my own bathroom. Might have to try this. Wouldn't it be great if you had something like this for your jewelry? Ever heard of a BlingBox? :)

    http://www.denydesigns.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I watched that same show and I wanted to buy it, but not for that price. I love hoe you made yours. I am going to have to keep an eye out for a medicine cabinet. I just pinned it to Pinterest!
    We would love for you to share this at our link party, Crafty Lassie Tuesday. It ends tonight at 5pm.
    www.sewstylishboutique.blogspot.com
    We are having a giveaway! Hope to see you there :)
    Heather & Rose

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW! that is awesome! Love colors! My bathroom counter is such a mess, this is a great solution! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is great!! Wish my bathroom was big enough, so I could try it out!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very cute idea, and it tucks everything away so nicely. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! That's an awesome idea. I wish I had the wall space to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is such a fabulous idea! I love the fabric--I made a nursing cover out of it! Great job!

    I have a link party going on now, called Show & Share. I'd love to have you link this up!

    http://southernlovely.blogspot.com/2011/08/show-share-2.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. I want one! Brilliant idea. I love your blog by the way, just discovered it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. wow! i love this! i totally want to do this.
    thanks so much for sharing!
    i am a new follower, i would love if you stopped by my blog sometime!
    {love} lauryn @ lovenotesbylauryn.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. LOVE this! Much better than in a basket setting on the counter....like mine is. lol Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Possibly one of the best ideas ever!!! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That would be perfect for my daughter's hair stuff. Yikes!!! I don't use anything so it's all hers. I love how you hid the cords and have it all plugged ready to work with. I'm guessing you unplug is when you're not using it. Wow it's clever!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is awesome!!!! What a fun and functional way to store your hair things! Great work!
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  20. Cool idea! Visiting from TT&J

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a great idea! You recreated it wonderfully! Saw you at Serenity Now's bloggy party.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Turned out great! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I need one of these! Our bathroom is teeny tiny and offers a laughable amount of storage space. The two tiny drawers don't even fit my blow dryer. This would be such a great way to get it off the cabinet or back of the toilet or where ever it's current resting spot is. Thanks so much for the inspiration!

    If you'd like to, I'd love to have you share this at my link party this weekend. Party is open through Monday, if you care to join. Found you via TT&J

    Krista @ While He Was Napping

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is awesome! Thank you sooooo much...I"m going to make one for my 14 year old daughter...she's driving her brother CRAZY with all of her hair appliances mess!

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is so cute and a much better idea than my messy basket of hair tools! Thank you so much for linking up at Savvy HomeMade Monday, Missy. Great post as always! We are partying again and I hope you will stop by! :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. How very clever! I must do this! Thank you for your great tutorial!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is so great! I totally need one of these in my bathroom.

    ReplyDelete
  28. SO CLEVER!

    I'll be featuring your project tomorrow during STICKER TIME! Feel free to come over and button up!

    ReplyDelete
  29. that is a great idea! I have never seen something like this before, it would also be great for our electric toothbrushes which drive me crazy - they are not the nicest thing to look at. Thanks for the idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Brilliant! Do you have a sign up by email button? Now where do you keep your power tools?

    ReplyDelete
  31. Such a great storage idea. Thanks for linking to Home Decor and Organizing Link Party. I'll be featuring this later today.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Nice! Great idea and very cute! I might go take a look at my bathroom and see if there is anything I could organize in such a brilliant way.

    ReplyDelete
  33. This looks amazing! Just one quick question, is the bottom shelf removable to get the cords in an out? How do you keep in in place then?
    Thanks! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Love this idea! I would put it on the other wall though -- then you could use the mirror with the large bathroom mirror to see that back of your head while you're fixing your hair :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...