Thursday, December 15, 2011

It's A Handmade Holiday.....

Here is another article I did for the December issue of Southlakemoms.com..please enjoy..

It's the time of year when we begin to think about decorating for the holidays.  I enjoy decorating for all seasons, but especially the Christmas holiday.  Christmas decorations not only look great, but also help to create a spiritual and festive environment.  Whether it be Halloween, Easter or Christmas, I always incorporate the foyer or entry table into my seasonal decorating scheme.



I recently came across a creative way to display those beautiful Christmas cards I receive from friends and family.  The idea is to use the individual shutter slots as holders for the cards.  Holiday visitors enjoy looking at the cards, and the shutters help to frame the space and add height to the area.  I came across this set of saloon shutters at an area antique shop for $5.00!  After hardware removal, sanding and paint, they were ready to hang.  I hung with velcro strips to prevent damage to the walls.


I am here to tell you that yarn is not just for sweaters!  Check out these decorative Christmas trees made from cardboard cones, yarn and rhinestones.  All of the materials for this project can be found at most craft stores (for around $12).  Simply wrap the yarn around the cones, using hot glue to secure every fourth or fifth row.  After reaching the top of the cone, I spiraled the yarn back down the cone to give the appearance of garland.  The ornaments were created by adhering the rhinestones to sequins with hot glue.  


I decided to supplement the trees with a few yarn-wrapped ornaments.  Initially, I was worried that the hot glue used to adhere the yarn to the ornament might crack the glass, but it worked just fine.  To finish off the ornament, just simply tie a bow to the top.  These can be displayed in so many ways, such as hanging from the tree, filling for a clear glass bowl, or laying over the garland as I did.  

My favorite part of the decoration, and the centerpiece, is the yarn covered letters that spell NOEL. Similar to the ornaments and miniature Christmas trees, each of the cardboard letters (found at most craft stores) is wrapped with yarn.  I first wrapped each letter vertically until the entire face was covered in yarn.  After wrapping each of the letters vertically, I wrapped the yarn horizontally starting at the bottom of the letter until entirely covered in yarn.  I had a very narrow wooden tray in which to display the letters, though I think they would look just fine resting directly on the table top.  I plan to re-use this idea for Valentine's Day by replacing the 'N' with a 'V' in order to spell LOVE!


Here is a view of the entire table top.  I placed trees and ornaments on both sides of the table in order to achieve balance.  I added a small red homemade stand (made of a candlestick holder and wooden plaque) to the right side of the decoration to maintain color consistency on both sides of the decoration.


I hope a few of these decorations will inspire you to create some handmade goodies to your collection of Christmas d├ęcor this year.  Creating is about your own personal taste, so take these ideas and make them your own. 

I hope that you and your family have a blessed holiday.
Home Stories A2Z

5 comments:

  1. It's beautiful. I love the letters and the yarn wrapped ornaments. Everything looks fabulous.
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE LOVE LOVE this! I would love it if you linked up to my weekly link party! It starts on Tuesday and goes until the following one!
    http://www.mushkiloves.com/search/label/Mushki%20Loves%20my%20stuff%20party

    Hope to see you there!
    Kirsten

    ReplyDelete
  3. All your projects look great! I'd love for you to link your post up at my Friday Favorites party. This week is a special Holly Bloggy Christmas edition!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the shutters!! Will have to remember that one! Happy Holidays! ~tina

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pinning! Love your trees!! Visiting from Serenity Now.
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...