Monday, January 23, 2012

A Closet Organizer for Her

I recently completed a closet organizing system for my husbands closet and it has worked out so well that I thought I would use the leftover pegboard and make myself one.  Here is my husbands organizer in case you haven't seen it...take a "lookie" HERE...

I am going to show you the finished picture of my organizer and then I will walk you through how I put it all together..


Here is a list of supplies you will need to complete this project:
  • Pegboard
  • 4 pieces of 1x2x8 wood.  These need to be cut to frame the peg board on the back.
  • Wood Glue
  • Clamps
  • Staple Gun
  • 4 screws
  • Glue Gun
  • Craft Knife
  • Material to cover pegboard
  • Decorative trim
  • Drawer knobs
  • Pegboard hooks and baskets
  • Wooden dowel
  • Shower hooks
Below are pictures of me assembling the pegboard with the wood strips.  I put a line of glue down on the back side of the pegboard.  Place a wood strip on the glue and clamp down.  Do this to the remaining three sides and then reinforce with screws in each corner.


Cut a piece of material with a 2" border around the pegboard.  Double fold and staple down to each strip of wood.  Do this all the way around the frame.


After the material has been stapled to the board, I then took some decorative trim and hot glued it all the way around to the outside of the frame..You can see what it looks like finished below...


After the board was ready, I took all of my knobs, hooks and baskets and laid them out onto the board to see where the placement of everything would be.  I then took my craft knife and pierced a hole in the fabric (just like in this post) where my hooks were going to be placed.

Here is how I designed mine...

I have alot of hats and scarves.  I wanted to maximize the space so I decided to hang the scarves on the bottom.  


These are the knobs I used to hang my hats.  I got them at Hobby Lobby for a $1.50 a piece.


These are the extra long hooks in the pegboard section of Home Depot.  I re-covered my headband holder in this black chenille.  I showed you HERE how to make your own headband holder out of paper towels and fabric.  Super easy!!


I just laid the headband holder on the hooks....


I decided to use these hooks for a shelf.  I had a plain piece of wood in my scrapbook room that I just painted a metallic silver and hot glued some trim around it.



The bottom row consists of 3 hooks that are holding a wooden dowel I covered in the same fabric as the headband holder.  I wrapped the dowel with the fabric and just started stapling.  EASY!!!!  This dowel will hold all of my scarves....




Let's look closer with everything on the board....

All of my hats now have a home....




My headbands....


My two buckets I got at Hobby Lobby.  I had some metallic silver vinyl that I just cut out a design on my cricut to embellish them.  One bucket has my lint brushes, scissors, emery board, etc. and the other bucket is used for small trash.


My pins for my jackets and sweaters...


The other two baskets are for my cologne, gloves and fingernail kit.


LOVE my Lindsay Phillips ballet flats and flip flops and all of the decorative snaps that go on them.  They now have a place to stay...


As you can see, I LOVE scarves...I used plastic shower rings that were a $1.00 for 12 to hold them and simply slid them on the fabric covered dowel.




and there you have it....this project was simple to make and I hope you are inspired to make your own.  If you do, send me a picture, I would love to see it..



Linking to:  





Home Stories A2Z




Organize and Decorate Everything





Positively Splendid

22 comments:

  1. I love that fabric you used on the board. And the board is truly unbelievable. It looks like you thought of everything. I've bought some shower rings for my scarves and haven't figured out what to use for a rod yet. I wish my closet could look like yours. sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! This is awesome! I am so inspired by this project... Great job girl! I'm now following.

    Jeanna @ dramaqueenseams.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are SO CLEVER!!! I have been looking for a headband holder for so long, or an idea to make one. I'm thinking that since I don't have as many scarves as you do, but probably more purses, I will organize my purses the way you did your scarves! Thank you so much for the tutorials! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great GREAT idea! I so need to create this for my daughter's closet, or as I like to call it, THE PIT! LOL

    Found you from the Show Me What You Got link party at Not JUST a Housewife! I'm a new blogger myself. Feel free to come by for a peek at http://shonaskye.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks great! I need to do something like that in my closet. Here from design dazzle

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are so creative, this is beyond FABULOUS!!! Such great use of space and love the fabric and crown tins, just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've given you the Versatile blogger award and thought you might want to check it out. Love all your ideas!

    Jeanna @ dramaqueenseams.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is awesome! My daughters NEED one of these! I found you through Cherished Bliss. Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a FANTASTIC Idea!!! I always love creative ideas for storage the ordinary! It becomes eye candy!
    Be Blessed,
    Lorena

    ReplyDelete
  10. OOohhhh, I saw the one you made for your husband featured on TT&J. This one is great too!! I am going to do this on the backs of our closet doors. I am pinning this and would love it if you would be willing to link it up to our party going on now-Monday, Thanks

    http://www.kadie-sevenalive.blogspot.com/2012/01/link-it-up-thursday-4.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very smart, clever use of everday items - turning them all into adorable, useful storage

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is such a great idea! My closet could use something like this for sure. I love the fabric that you used and all the fun trim details. Stopping by from Serenity Now.

    ReplyDelete
  13. WOW - this has got to be one of the COOLEST & most practical things to make I have seen in a long time. Makes me want to jump in my car right now & go buy the supplies! AWESOME idea & I will be pinning this to do soon! thanks =) laura

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are super organized - this is fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. AMAZING!!! I love that fabric. I love girly girl stuff and thats got girly girl all over it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this idea. I am always looking for better ways to organize my closet.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just found you thru the Serenity Now Weekend Bloggy Reading Link Party. I just became a member of your blog.

    What a great tutorial!! I want to do this!!!! Please stop by my blog sometime and take a look at my Pottery Barn inspired DIY Love Votive Candle Set.

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  18. I LOVE this!! It's so nice when you can see everything you have! Great idea!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. okay... I need pictures of you sporting all these adorable headbands and scarfs!!

    This is super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  20. found this on pinterest...so fabulous!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...