Friday, January 6, 2012

A Closet Organizer for Him

This project has been in the works or should I say in my head for a very long time.  Have you ever thought of something in the middle of the night that made such good sense that you had to make it a reality.  Well this is one of those cases.  My husbands closet has needed a makeover for some time, and I finally started on it after the first of this year.  Our closets are in the bathroom, he has his own and I have my own.  I love having our own closets but his was becoming a catch all for all things that did not need to be in the closet.  I created this system to help him get ready in the morning and have everything at his fingertips instead of walking around looking for things that were just all over the place.


Here is what you will need to make this project:
  • Ultralight MDF moulding (this is what we used - CHEAP) customized to your own measurements or an open stock frame will work fine too
  • Peg Board
  • Fabric (enough to cover your board)
  • Peg Board Hooks and baskets found in the hardware section of your lumber company
  • Screen Clips
  • Staple Gun
  • Craft Knife
Let me show you how I got started.  My Dad and I went to Lowe's over the Christmas holidays and purchased two strips of MDF crown molding for $3.50 each.  Cheap huh!  My Dad built the frame using the measurements of the wall in the closet.

The inside of each moulding strip was routed with a 1/4" rabbeting bit.  This is necessary to ensure that that the peg board sets inside the frame.

This is where I started taking pictures...so sorry...But here you can see how he glued and nailed the corners together...this frame was less than $7.00 to build...you can't beat that..



He then painted it...


After the frame was painted Dad screwed the screen clips onto the back of the frame.  The screen clips are for holding the peg board into place once it is installed.  



The peg board was the next item to purchase.  We needed to know the exact measurements because Lowe's will cut it for you...$9.00 for the whole sheet.  I had a ton of peg board leftover and will be using it for my closet.

Here is the peg board laying face down on the fabric.  I left a good 2" margin of fabric on each side.  When I was ready to start stapling, I folded down 1" and then another inch and then stapled.  See picture below to make sense of what I just said....


Here is the peg board with all of the fabric stapled and then put into the frame....


Now it's time to start installing the peg board hooks and baskets.  I used a craft knife to pierce a hole where the hooks would go...




I altered the rows of hooks to accommodate his ties....


These hooks come with the locking black strip.  The strips keep the hook in place at all times.


The only thing left to do besides hanging everything on the frame is installing hangers on the back so it can be hung on the wall.  Here is what I used...

I used the heavy weight picture hangers and placed them a 1/4 of the way down on each side.  Marked my hole and then used a tiny drill to get my hole started and then screwed them in place.  Do the same for both sides.


and here it is all finished and ready to hang...I was lucky that I had a studs on my wall to hang it!


When I finished installing the hooks at the top and installing the hardware on the back of the frame, I went ahead and hung my husbands ties and belts so I would know how much space I had to work with toward the bottom.  The pictures below show you the rest of the frame finished.  I used the same method to install the baskets as I did the hooks.

A place for his hats....





A hook for his shoe polisher....


A place for his collar stays and those pesky paper dry cleaning tags that I used to find laid everywhere...I used old pimento jars...


Black sock basket....


Blue sock basket....



I'm so happy with the way this turned out.  This system will so helpful for him when he is getting ready for work in the mornings.  Everything is literally at his fingertips!!

I have BIG plans for the one in my closet, so stay tuned...a little hint, pink and black!!

UPDATE...Below is a picture and link to the Closet Organizer for Her that I made soon after completing my husbands..


Click HERE to go directly to the post.


Thanks for stopping by....have a great weekend!!

Linking to:


Home Stories A2Z



Photobucket



41 comments:

  1. Became a recent follower! This looks so great! Motivates me to do this for my husband... and then I realize that he will probably still keep things on the floor. :) Great work! Would love for you to stop by my blog @ toddlindsey.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great. My husband is very particular about his closet so when we finally finish renovating the master bedroom he will be getting one of these.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow!!! I am so bookmarking this! My poor husband has all of his ties and "accessories" stuffed in the back of the closet right now. Great idea and wonderful tutorial! I found you at TT&J's link party!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is brilliant, I'm sooo impressed!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is awesome! What hubby wouldn't love one of them. Thanks for stopping by my blog. =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Such a great idea! Everything is so organized! I love it! You did such a great job! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow that is soooo awesome!!! That sure beats, "hunny, wake up...do you know where my blue striped tie is?" Are you going to be adding a Feedblitz email subscriber thing? I would love to see you in my email =) Thanks for sharing a great idea!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG! I love it! My hubs need this in our closet. You have inspired me to get onto this project right away.

    dramaqueenseams.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh my gosh, that's fabulous! i'm sure he loves it (what's not to love!) the black and blue sock separating is key-my boyfriend gets ready in the morning while i'm still sleeping, so he goes back and forth to the other room with the light on to see the color of things! i'm sure he'd like this better.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that it came out so gorgeous I love the look of it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You need to make these & sell them! Would sell like hot cakes! Great idea. Love.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is great! I've featured it at Grits and Giggles. Come grab a featured button!
    http://www.gritsandgiggles.blogspot.com/2012/01/what-i-love-wednesday.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. what a great idea...hubby needs to make himself one of these ...;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. love it! You're so talented! I'm actually working on two picture frame projects. So many ideas and not enough time.

    ReplyDelete
  15. CLEVER! You have been featured on COM. xo, jen

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi! I pinned this on Pinterest, posted on fb, and featured at Creative DIYers Club. Please feel free to grab the feature button.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You've been featured!

    http://delightfulorder.blogspot.com/2012/01/delightful-features-from-11112.html

    Thanks for joining the party! Hope to see you again, this Thursday.

    DaNita

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congrats on your feature! I love this project. It made my heart go pitter-patter with all the color coordinating!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I got a kick out of the black sock basket and the blue sock basket-are all men color blind-everymorning I get asked "Is this black or blue?"

    ReplyDelete
  21. My hubby is super organized, so I don't need this for him. BUT, this will be PERFECT for my boys...their ties and hats are everywhere and they can never find their belts.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love this! Your frame is beautiful! I do have one question though. What did you use to join the corners of the frame together and where can I find them? The metal rectangular thingy?

    Thank you so much!

    Ana Rodriguez

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love this! I found it linked on Pinterest- Could you post a picture of where you have it hanging in your bedroom/home? I would love to see how it looks in the overall space.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful! Thanks so much for the inspiration, this is exactly what I have been looking for.
    xoxo
    claudia
    deliciouspaces.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great idea! I was browsing ideas on pintrest to organize my belts, I am going to have to do this! Thank u so much for sharing and your blog looks great! I am new to blogging, please feel free to visit my new blog! :) i-heart-vintage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thank you for sharing this. This is just incredible. Well I guess my wife will be so glad if I made one or more closets Bergen for her. She really has lots of stuffs and is very particular about her close but I guess she will really love this project. Thank you for the idea and for the steps.

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a great idea! I found this pinned on Pinterest and I was so happy to see your detailed how-to photos, thank you! Off to get organized....

    ReplyDelete
  28. I just became a follower. Great idea and nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi! I love this! I have question, where did you hang this? In the closet or on the wall? I believe I read you hung this on the wall but I wanted to make sure. Thanks,
    Drayah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm curious too as to where EXACTLY did you hang this? IN the closet or on an outside wall of closet or wall in bathroom possibly?

      Delete
  30. Very nice and helpful information has been given in this post. I like the way you explain the things. Keep posting. Thanks!
    Closet Organizer

    ReplyDelete
  31. Can you design one for women? This is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  32. These are beautiful! Lovely finished look with the fabric back, less hectic look than peg board with all the holes showing. You make clever organizing functional and beautiful. I just found your site and am delighted! The directions and pictures are awesome....can your Mom and Dad come visit me in Calif?????? :) short list ...really :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Online shopping pegboard hardware workshop your home and garage automotive tool storage Provide buy peghooks-pegboardhooks.com . it can be helpful to you for Pegboard hardware ,according to your requirement

    Automotive Tool Storage
    Tool Organizer

    ReplyDelete
  34. I freakin' love this..exactly what my hubby needs and I think I will try & make it for his birthday next month. AWESOME...thanks so much for sharing!
    hugz,
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  35. PS--glad I'm not the only one that has to clean up dry-cleaner tags from shirts...all over my floor and drives me nuts..luv the container for them ;)
    hugz,
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  36. could you tell me the dimensions you used for this?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...