Monday, January 30, 2012

Re-purposed Baby Hutch and Updated Craft Room



Before the Christmas holidays, I began rearranging some furniture in my house.  I was focusing on my guest bedroom when it occurred to me that I should move my son's baby hutch out of the room because it just didn't go with all of the decor in the room.  Our guest bedroom is decorated with antique furniture from both of my grandmother's homes and the hutch just looked out of place.  I did not want to get rid of it (way to much sentimental value) and I really had no where in the house to store it....and then it came to me that I should re-purpose it and move it into my craft room.  With some help from my husband we hauled it upstairs and it fit perfectly in the room.  It looked great in the space but it needed something to make it fit in.  Take a "lookie" at what I did in the pictures below....

We all know what the basic baby hutch looks like.  I did not get a picture of it plain, but I did get a picture of it before I added the knobs.  I had some extra fabric leftover from the curtains and table skirt so I decided to mod podge it onto the back of the top of the hutch.  After I glued the fabric, I took some decorative black rope and simply trimmed out the edges using hot glue.  I then found some turquoise knobs on clearance for a $1.99 at Anthropologie.  After a few of the changes with the fabric and knobs, this hutch is now a useful storage item in my craft room and I just love it.  Let me share with you some of the pictures and how I'm using it to store some of my items....


Here is the before and after...I think the knobs give it a whole new look....



 Closer views of the hutch....




 The drawers on the right that used to hold bibs, socks, diapers and wipes (cue sad face), now hold tape, hot glue guns, paints and all of my cricut cartridges.....


 I can use the shelves to display pictures, hold my ribbons, xyron machine and lazy susan.


The longer drawers hold scrapbook embellishments, ribbon and leftover fabric....



While we are in my craft room, I re-arranged a few things in here as well.  If you are new to my blog and haven't seen my craft room, then welcome...hope you enjoy!!!!


With the help of my father, I converted one of the extra bedrooms in our home to a place where I go to create, blog, craft and escape the stresses of life.  Most of the furniture in the room was hand-made by my Dad, so it has been customized to fit my needs - - thanks Dad!  You will also see a few thrift store conversions that I love.  



DESK

The desk is the area where I do a lot of the work.  It holds my Cricut, trinkets and television.  It is just the right height so that I can either sit or stand while working.  I do most of my hardcore scrapbooking here as it offers plenty of space.  The fabric around the table was a simple project and maintains the theme of the decor.  We simply cut the material, hemmed the edges and secured to the table with curtain rods.  Not only does it look good, it also serves as great storage!




ISLAND

This is by far my favorite piece in the room.  My Dad and I designed the island after seeing a similar table in a magazine.  There are twenty narrow slots along one side, which allow me to store the scrapbook paper so it is visible and accessible.  I placed baskets in each of the larger cubbies to hold ribbon, glitter, paper pads and stickers.  The opposite side of the table contains a larger, open cubby, which I use to store wrapping paper.  The lazy susan on top was purchased at a local craft store and holds all of my essential tools (scissors, markers, pens, glue, etc.).

I purchased the bar stools at a local estate sale for $10 each.  I re-upholstered the cushions and gave them a fresh coat of paint.  They are the perfect height and make a great addition to the island! 



BOOKCASE

The bookcase was another one of my Dad's creations.  This piece provides much needed storage space for items that I use to craft.  There are 12 cubbies in all, which are used to hold completed scrapbooks, storage baskets, paper and jewelry making supplies.


ACCESSORIES

Most of the accessories were found at local thrift stores.  The antique lazy susan is one of my favorites!  The pegboard was made from an open stock frame and pegboard that I painted.  The curtains are made from an old windowpane purchased during antique weekend in Warrenton, TX.  Curtains were attached using magnets and binder clips!  The words CREATE are vinyl letters cut from the Cricut machine.

19 comments:

  1. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the fabric on the hutch! What a great idea!!!

    We did a hutch of a similar nature that you might like as well! Come check us out!

    Happy Junkin'

    Sarah
    www.dumpedanddiscovered.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is just the cutest craft room. Love that you and your dad worked on it together =) So sweet! Enjoy your amazing creative space.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The hutch looks great. Those knobs just made the look.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing, love the colors! It turned out great!
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. a wonderful transformation and what a great space! thanks for sharing on Make it MOnday! I'll be sharing with the Brassy Apple Facebook and twitter followers! :)

      Delete
  5. I am in love with your room! My favorite part is the long table with the fabric underneath.. So cute! TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My mouth is on the floor! I do not scrapbook, but I do sew and would love to have a space as large as this simply for that itself! Lovin' the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Swoon ... will share this amazing space at our multi-link "Imagine the Impossibilities" link party? We're live until Friday midnight (CST). Here's the link...

    http://www.itallstartedwithpaint.com/2012/01/imagine-impossibilities-2012-link-party.html

    Hope to see you at the party!

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy to see you at the Impossibilities party! Still loving that color combo ...

      Delete
  8. Love it! The colors are great! I love the knobs on the hutch!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful, wonderful. So nice to have custom storage furniture. I am blessed with a handy dad and now hubby, too. That hutch is a great piece, and I can imagine it being useful in many situations. But those neatly arranged drawers full of goodies... I'm envious! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looove your craftroom, it is very stylish and you have so much space.Wow!!
    Hugs
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great job and every piece is so pretty AND practical. Would love for you to link this to my Craftastic party:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great inspirational room you have! You have given some ideas as to what I can do to my craft/office/guest room! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very cute room! I am in the process of putting the finishing touches on my own craft room! Soooo exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  14. very nice room. one of the best that I have seen actually. Good job you have inspired me. I especially love your island it really is very good. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a beautiful space! And that repurposed hutch is wonderful!! Thanks so much for linking up to the challenge! Karah

    ReplyDelete
  16. Featuring YOU this morning over on my blog! Thank you so much for sharing at last week's {wow} me wednesday party!

    Ginger @ gingersnapcrafts.com

    http://www.gingersnapcrafts.com/2012/02/take-look-at-you-my-favorites_09.html

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...