Monday, March 26, 2012

Framing a Digital Picture Frame.....

A few years ago my husband gave me a digital picture frame for my birthday and I hate to say it, but I never really used it.  I just didn't like the way it looked.  It was so plain and boring to look at.  So lets fast forward five years and my whole opinion has changed.  Why, because I saw something in a store that struck the creative side of me and completely changed my whole outlook on that digital frame sitting in my closet not being used.   It was a FRAME....a custom made one to fit a digital frame.  I saw it so long ago and I can't even remember where I saw it, but I remember I loved it and I wanted one and the store was asking an outlandish amount of money for it.  When my parents were here this past week, I had my Dad build one for me.....because he can build anything (just wait until I post about an amazing Pottery Barn Teen knockoff he did for me....I'm working on that post)!

Here is my new Frame......



This project was made from one piece of 1" x 6", nails and a router...that's it!!
He started by measuring my digital frame and went from there.  I would give you exact measurements, but all digital frames are different sizes, depths, etc..  Just start by first measuring the frame you have and adjust the 1" x 6" to fit your frame.  My frame is 19 1/4" long and 16 1/2" tall and the width of my digital frame is 9".


He routed the inset of the frame so the digital frame rested inside of it.  Measure the depth of the frame and adjust the router to make it fit your frame....

Made a couple of wooden stands for the frame to stand up.......

and tadaaaa......Lookie how that frame fits in there perfectly....

I primed it a grey color so the black paint would take to it better.....

Purchased an iron piece from Hobby Lobby for $4.99 and spray painted it turquoise....


Here's a hint...if you are going to paint screws, place them in a scrap piece of peg board and paint away.....




After the primer on the frame dried, I painted it black.....

Distressed the heck out of it and put a coat of polyurethane on it....

I also distressed the iron piece....just took my sandpaper block and ran over the top of it....


Measured and screwed in my iron piece and placed my digital frame in it, securing it with screen clips.


Hope you have a great week...Thanks for stopping by!!

Linking to....

Home Stories A2Z
Tip Junkie handmade projects


The 36th AVENUE

Positively Splendid



.

9 comments:

  1. This is such a great idea...it brings a bit of character to those digital frames. This wouldn't be necessarily easy for me, but if you have any super simple projects or tips you'd like to share I'm hosting a link party today with a few fellow bloggers. I'd be great to see you linked up. :)
    http://thespacebetweenblog.wordpress.com/2012/03/27/diy-spring-wreath-painted-with-seaglass-and-driftwood/
    Karah

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a digital frame I never use...one day I might just try this. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea! Love the frame! I would love for you to share it at my party going on now at Jillify It!

    Jill
    www.jillifyit.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. The frame is beautiful. Love the colors you chose. I need to learn how to use my router.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic! I love the colors you chose. I have never really liked the digital frames, but if I can make one look like yours-- I would be proud to have it on my shelf!

    Thanks for linking up to "Cowgirl Up!" and the sweet comment about my Camping Party :)

    Samantha

    ReplyDelete
  6. Holy creative! Thats fabulous! Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is the coolest thing! I love it! Happily following you via GFC!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great idea! I've never liked how little character digital frames have - so much better with a distressed surround!

    Lucky to you to have such a handy Dad :)

    Claire @ alittlesomethinginthemeantime.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Missy, I'm featuring your adorable digital frame tonight at Project Queen's Highlight Party. Thanks so much for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...