Friday, March 9, 2012

Spring Colored Beans.......

I finally finished decorating my house for Easter and can't wait to share with you some of what I have been up too!  I usually fill my apothecary jars with Easter grass and eggs but then I had the light bulb go off in my head to try and dye some navy beans like I did for Halloween.  If you are new to my blog, I experimented with dying beans during the Halloween holidays in orange.  You can see how they turned out HERE!  Since the beans turned out great for Halloween, I knew that some pretty pastels would be perfect for the upcoming spring season!  These beans provide a cheap alternative to fill your apothecary jars or decorative trays.


Here is what you will need to for the project...

White Navy Beans
Food Coloring (Tube or Jar)
Gallon Size Ziploc Bags
Wax Paper


Start by pouring your beans into the ziploc bag.....


Next, squirt the food coloring on top of the beans.....I ended up using the whole tube....


Zip the bag closed and start massaging the beans...you will see the color covering all of the beans.....


When you are happy with the color, spread the beans out onto the wax paper......


Let them dry for a good 24 hours.  I had some extra beans and used some blue food coloring from the Wilton jar and got a really pretty color...they seemed to dry quicker too!



I repeated the same step to get the green beans below....they turned out to be a gorgeous color green....




This whole project was less than $5.00...super easy and cheap!

Have a great weekend!!!

Linking to:


Positively Splendid

UndertheTableandDreaming

14 comments:

  1. Great idea -- and wonderful tips -- I love your decorating style :) Thanks for sharing….
    -Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are stunning. I've been looking for a cheap filler for some apothecaties that I am using for my daughter's birthday party next week. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH MY GOSH. I thought they were jelly beans. I kept thinking "I really want that in my house, but that will be way too expensive plus I'll end up eating them all."
    NAVY BEANS!!! Unbelievable.
    Thanks for sharing! Can't wait for my next trip to the grocery store ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a great idea! And they should still be ok to cook with after Easter: just rinse, soak, and cook. Thanks for sharing....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just made some using your idea....although it hasn't been 24 hours the beans are very sticky! Did your pink ones dry or do they stay kinda sticky?

    Thanks!
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome idea! if I had an award for most creative idea for Easter, you would win it! Don't worry no speech is required for virtual awards :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this idea!!! Definitely going to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Missy! I love this idea! I saw this and went to my cupboard immediately to dig up some beans to dye! Check out my blog post from this evening if you want to see how they turned out! :) I need to go buy more beans....

    Hugs!
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had the same problem Judy did..They are sticky after almost 2 days of drying...are yours sticky too? I did not want to put them in my jar all sticky I was afraid they would end up a big clumpy mess to get out!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I put my beans in a ziploc bag and used spray paint. I just sprayed down in there, closed it and shook it. It worked a lot better than the food coloring, in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I did pink and blue and they look so pretty in my mason jar with glass lid! Can't wait to see upcoming projects......you rock!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi. I just came across your site in looking for great vase fillers. I so love this idea. I do have a question, if anyone can answer...how do these hold up long-term? If I give a vase to someone with these in it as a permanent decoration...will they stay? Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi. I just came across your site in looking for great vase fillers. I so love this idea. I do have a question, if anyone can answer...how do these hold up long-term? If I give a vase to someone with these in it as a permanent decoration...will they stay? Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...