Wednesday, October 10, 2012

OLD POST REVISITED: Decorating with Beans


****This was a post I did last year 
around this time. 
 I thought I would share it again.****

I know you are going to think I am crazy...but with a little imagination and experimenting you can decorate with beans!  I was looking for something to put into my apothecary jars for Halloween but I did not want to spend a fortune on candy that would sit in a jar and not get eaten.  I decided to take a bag of White Navy Beans (sorry, I did not get a picture) and dye them with food coloring and here is what I got.

                Supplies Needed
  • 2 lb. bag of white navy beans - $1.50 at grocery store
  • A tube each of red and yellow food coloring
  • Large Ziploc bag
  • Newspaper, wax paper or parchment paper for drying out


Start by pouring the beans in a Ziploc bag.


Drop in some red and yellow food coloring. It does not have to be exact, you can
add more later if your color isn't where it needs to be.
(See Below)


After massaging and working the beans around, this is what you will have...
ORANGE BEANS


After all the beans are coated, pour them onto your newspaper, wax paper or 
parchment paper (whatever you have on hand).


I let mine dry over night.  They might cluster together, but that is okay.  I let my
son break them up and play with them before I decorated my jar.

Here you go.  I altered the orange beans with a 2 lb. bag of black beans.




I experimented this summer with pinto beans.  I love the color turquoise.  If you take a bag of pinto
beans with red and blue food coloring, this is what you get.






These are great fillers for jars, trays or even a glass candle jar.

5 comments:

  1. Great and economical idea! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet they keep for a long time too. Thanks for sharing this great idea. Fun project for kids.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Missy, this is such a great idea! I never would have thought of coloring beans, but the impact is fabulous!!

    I just want to come by and say thank your for your incredibly sweet comment you left about my craft room featured on Craftaholics Anonymous last Friday. It was so exciting being featured on a big blog like that, and getting to hear from people like you! Thank you...and stop by to say hi if you get the chance!

    Amy E.
    scrapthissavethat.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Missy...I love your ideas! Love your Hutch that you have in Texas! We are truly blessed to have you enter our lives at RVS in Calgary.

    Hugs,

    Lori Poirier (2B)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...